Thursday, October 23

The patchwork tunic

 The first garment I've made - all natural dyed pieces of cotton fabric. Dyed with rust and tea in my kitchen. Then pieced together by hand.
This is the front of the garment.
The patches overlapped each other along the edges and I stitched through both layers with chain stitch.
 The back of the garment.
Detail of the rust and tea dye. 
I spent time with my family last week and got to photograph the patchwork tunic in my mother's lush tropical garden.
I'm planning a small collection of hand stitched and natural dyed garments. I hope to find a gallery which will be interested in showing.

Happy Diwali to all those celebrating. Wishing everyone an abundance of health, happiness and prosperity in the new year.  

4 comments:

Thread Born said...

What a labor of love! This is simply gorgeous, Maya. You need to take a photo with you (or someone else) wearing it.

Radka said...

Wow, it is beautiful!
And very unique :-) Well done!
xx

Maya Sara Matthew said...

You're absolutely right Julie. My sister and my mother would have made worthy models but in all the talking and catching up it got forgotten. :( Will have to find someone else to model my tunic.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Thank you Radka. Some of the tie dye patterns are really unique I've tried to replicate them and I just haven't been able to.
I'm glad I could put them together in this tunic.

ShareThis